Due Diligence and Ongoing Monitoring

View Only
  • 1.  On-Boarding Insurance Companies

Posted 06-14-2023 04:21 PM

Hello.  I am looking to on-board a new insurance company as one of our vendors.  They are refusing to provide their own COI stating they will not disclose that type of information.  Has anyone dealt with this scenario and is it common for insurance companies (not agencies) to not provide their own COI?  If so, what other methods can be used to assess their viability in lieu of a COI. 

• 2.  RE: On-Boarding Insurance Companies

Posted 06-14-2023 04:38 PM

You may consider using rating companies to ascertain the financial stability of insurance carriers.  Here are the 5 major rating companies that evaluate insurance carriers.  The reports or information may be free, although you may have to register at the site.

AM Best Company

Demotech

Fitch Ratings

Moody's Investor Service

Standard and Poor's Corporate

Hello.  I am looking to on-board a new insurance company as one of our vendors.  They are refusing to provide their own COI stating they will not disclose that type of information.  Has anyone dealt with this scenario and is it common for insurance companies (not agencies) to not provide their own COI?  If so, what other methods can be used to assess their viability in lieu of a COI. 

• 3.  RE: On-Boarding Insurance Companies

Posted 06-14-2023 08:29 PM

Will your insurance company vendor have access to employee protected information (I.e., SSN, medical, etc)?  Do you have indemnification and cyber language and minimum limits in your contracts?

------------------------------
    Steven I. Adler, CDPSE
    Director, Third Party Risk Management
    Enterprise Risk Management
    Humana Inc.

------------------------------

• 4.  RE: On-Boarding Insurance Companies

Posted 06-15-2023 01:50 AM

You should have a Business Associate Agreement with the insurance company and treat them like any other 3rd party vendor per HIPAA.