Due Diligence and Ongoing Monitoring

View Only
  • 1.  VENDOR WFH OVERSIGHT

Posted 12-16-2022 07:51 AM
    Can anyone share how you approach evaluating your suppliers work from home capabilities or program?  This can include during due diligence and ongoing monitoring in areas of cyber, compliance and operations. Any contractual considerations as well. 
    Thanks for sharing or feel free to reach out to discuss.  

Steven I. Adler 

Director, Third Party Risk Management

Enterprise Risk Management

Humana Inc.

• 2.  RE: VENDOR WFH OVERSIGHT

Posted 12-20-2022 05:05 PM

Hi,

Here are some suggestions I wanted to share with you regarding Work from Home (WFH) capabilities.  I would first make sure the vendors that you're examining are providing services that are in scope – meaning those that require human activity (as opposed to system operations only).  This will enable the right population of vendors to be examined.

Preliminary questions to consider:

• Inherent risk:  First, make sure that people are involved (staff availability) and that people affect operations.
    • BC Tests:  WFH tests for VPN, virtual desktop that are involved in Business Continuity plans and test specifically for WFH.
    • Contract clauses: Business Continuity should be specifically listed, but the WFH clauses may not be. However, the WFH functionality may be available.  Contractually, a vendor may have Cyber risk captured in their provisions for Business Continuity (operational availability).  This would encompass system availability.  Look at the contract's BC language.
    • Does a vendor have BC controls for validation?

Here are some thoughts regarding my approach to Vendor WFH oversight, specifically for Due Diligence and Ongoing Monitoring:

Policy

• Request a vendor's policy and program documentation regarding their WFH program.

Information Security

• Does a vendor have a WFH notification/escalation system for the employees if the system were to go down?
      • Is there a formalized work around process?  These are helpful to ensure management has considered incidents like this off company premises.

Access Management

• Request documentation as evidence (screenshots, lists, flowcharts) of a vendor's implementation and ongoing monitoring of their WFH policies.

I hope you find this helpful, but I'd love to hear what other members are doing as well.